On Wednesday 15th July, 2020 the cruise liner SOVEREIGN left Marsaxlokk Harbour, Malta at 2014 hrs bound to the waiting area during her last voyage.
She entered Marsaxlokk Harbour on Sunday 12th July morning after several days drifting outside territorial waters (otw) for stripping and discharging of 800 pallets full of all valuable items including equipment; supplies; furniture etc and berthed at the West Quay of Malta Freeport Terminal 1, same as MONARCH.
There were various conflicting issues as first it was reported that with the demise of Spanish cruise brand Pullmantur last June it was revealed that MONARCH which was chartered to Pullmantur, will be transferred back to Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (RCCL).
Pullmantur’s board of directors determined that the unprecedented impact of the Pandemic Disease COVID-19 made the action necessary. Pullmantur management notified employees of the decision after filings were made with Spanish authorities. Cruise Investment Holding and Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines have announced they have filed for reorganisation of their cruise brand Pullmantur. In a statement made on Royal Caribbean’s corporate website, the company explained they have filed for the reorganisation of their Pullmantur Cruceros joint venture under the terms of Spanish insolvency laws. Cruise Investment Holding owns 51 percent of the Spanish cruise line, while RCCL owns the remaining 49 percent.
Pullmantur had a fleet of three ships, with another vessel – Royal Caribbean’s GRANDEUR OF THE SEAS that was being planned to join in early 2021. HORIZON is a former Celebrity Cruises ship, while MONARCH and SOVEREIGN were both former Sovereign class ships which sailed for Royal Caribbean International.
SOVEREIGN was laid up in Naples for cold storage and left in late June awaiting orders sometimes drifting up and down otw Malta.
Here last 13th June, 2020 at 2200 hrs.
She was built in 1987 at the Chantiers de l’Atlantique shipyards in Saint-Nazaire, France as the SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS for Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (RCCL). She was the first from 3 ships of the Sovereign Class with a passenger capacity of 2,850 passengers. As of 1st April, 2013 she started operations for RCCL’s Pullmantur Cruises brand trading as SOVEREIGN.
During Sunday 19th July, 2020 she heaved up anchors and on Tuesday 21st July, 2020 she was spotted at Aliaga, Turkey.
And today as Thursday 23rd July, 2020 she was beached at Aliaga, Turkey next to her sister MONARCH.
Her last visit to Malta with passengers was back to 13th July, 2018.
Pullmantur was represented in Malta by SMS Shipping – www.sms.com.mt
While on scheduled cruise she berthed at Pinto 1 and 2 wharves at Valletta Cruise Port.
Watermarked Photos are by Capt. Lawrence Dalli. Do not use these images without my permission. © All rights reserved. Malta Ship Photos & Action Photos – www.maltashipphotos.com
Published – Thursday 23rd July, 2020